24 September 2006

Texture

Knitting and quilting are so appealing to me because they are so tactile. I could spend hours just petting the yarn or running my hands along the surface of a nice, crisp cotton fabric. I visited a friend in Rochester, NY last weekend and had the chance to experience that kind of tactile sensation with stone. Perhaps it is morbid, but I couldn't pass up the artistry of the gravestones at the Mount Hope Cemetary.






One of the famous residents of the cemetary is Susan B. Anthony. Her marker is simple and mixed in with her family. Surprisingly, the generations which have come after her have maintained this simplicity. There are tours of her home in town, but nothing here except a few small signs to mark the way and a bench if you wish to rest and admire the unexpected beauty surrounding you.

No comments: