28 September 2006

A Little Cuteness This Way Comes

Even a misanthrope like me can't be too grumpy around baby knits. Well, maybe, but I swear I'm only a temporary grump. I'll be cured the minute I walk out of graduation... in twelve years...

Anyway, the past few days I got inspired to clean up my stash a bit and I happened to run across a great little pattern for a baby sweater. Knowing exactly where the perfect yarn for the pattern would be, I hopped to it.

Pattern: 5 Hour Quickie Baby Sweater and Matching Bonnet (There are several versions of this online, also search for weekend baby sweater. This link has all the extra patterns for booties, bonnets, blankets, and baby paraphanelia.)

Yarn: Mystery Yarn from the stash, part or all acrylic, worsted to heavy worsted, very soft and cuddly. As always with my pics, the color is off in the pics. It's a pretty mauve/taupe color, not overly cutesy, for the modern fashionista baby with more mature color tastes.

Needles: 10.5 Addis

Dates: 24 Sept - 28 Sept, 2006

Recipient: Baby H in Texas


Notes: I basically followed the pattern for the button-up version although I changed the cuffs to garter stitch to match the bottom, rather than ribbing as specified. The pattern was easy and straight-forward, but I did have to finagle my row count a few times to be sure I was on the right side when the patterning came around. If you knit this, just be careful when you start to knit the second sleeve. Since you knit across the first sleeve before you start counting rows, you need to do the same on the second side. It also isn't terribly clear when you go to knit the body after the arms, but it's pretty self-explanatory what you need to do when you're holding the sweater in your hands.

I love the little buttons. Also from the stash from the Hancock Fabrics store closing extravaganza this summer. It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think they look like little mice with a graduation cap and a briefcase. Perfect for the daughter of a future professor.




The bonnet does require crochet and it makes a huge difference in the overall look of the project. I ended up using a J hook which felt a little bit clumsy, but kept the edge nice and loose. I tried the crochet ties but they looked pretty tacky so I used grosgrain ribbon through the first row of eyelets. I hope this isn't too far back on the baby's head, but the mom is crafty, so if this doesn't work, I'm sure she'll improvise.

I have several more babies to knit for so you may see a few more of these. I think this could easily become my standard baby pattern. Quick, simple and cute results!

3 comments:

Kris said...

What a cute sweater.

Lone Knitter said...

Leslie, that is the cutest little bonnet I have ever seen! I can't believe how great and polished the sweater looks. I got your package! I'm sooooo freaken excited! I'll post pictures on my blog tomorrow. I owe more more bigger thanks to you, but for now, thank you thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I don't see the pattern for the bonnet there, just the matching booties. Can you link to it? (I hope it's not gone!) Thanks! spellingwitch@hotmail.com