06 November 2007

Future Felting

I got the new Interweave yesterday. Gotta say, overall I'm pretty meh on it. Veronik Avery may be the darling of the knitting world at the moment, but that cat head sweater is just darn fugly. I honestly don't like the overall look and feel of the magazine. It seems less "timeless" and "classic" and more fitted sweaters with weird construction that were they published in Knitter's or one of the less hip 'zines, they'd be ripped right out of the blogosphere. I just don't see many that are very knit-able for most people. I thought the fall issue was great, but I didn't see much in this one to make me even check sizes and yarns for possibilities.

Well, except for a project that was in an ad. Did you see the lace bag from Tink Knits.com? It's called the Barcelona Bag and its designer did the amazing carpet bag with intarsia and embroidery a few years ago, the one that I've been dying to make as soon as I felt I could justify a big yarn splurge.

It was the first website I visited this morning, all ready to bust out the credit card for the pattern, planning to work it in the same blue/black combo in the ad. But wait, spray paint? Huh?

I guess it works since it's from a designer who knows what she's doing, but I don't know. I'm guessing you don't use regular ol' hardware store spray paint. And do you think that the pattern comes with the lace or would it be up to you to find a suitable piece to use as a stencil? I'm going to try Ravelry to see if anyone else has thought about this one. It's a $12 pattern so I'm not so sure I'll go for it. Seems like too much for my current budget considering how many other things I need to knit at the moment.

Since I'm in the mood for doing some colorwork and would like another big felted bag, I'm going to look around locally for the Noni pattern for the Medallion bag or order it this weekend. It'll fit the bill and I won't have to take my knitting to the back yard for ventillation or worry about getting carried away and tagging my living room floor.

Granted, I'm not starting anything until the shawl is blogged and there are two nephew sweaters in the mail.

2 comments:

FairyGodKnitter said...

I agree with you about the new IK. There are some okay sweaters but the overall look is just too blah. Maybe because the Holiday issue comes out around the same time and those projects are a little more fun. I suppose if I looked like Eunny Jang, I could wear them all , but I don't. And where are the mens sweaters?
I saw the same ad for the lace bag but fully expected the pattern to be knit not paint.

Redheadskydiver said...

I agree, the only one I liked was the first cardigan, the red one. But I have a list of like 10 cradigans to knit right now. So whatever. And no, I don't think I'd go for the painted thing, that just don't seem right.