22 October 2006

A Rainy Sunday at My House

Well, the Rhinebeck reports are starting to come in and alas, this will not be one of them. Although I wanted to go this year, the stars didn't align for me, which is probably best for my pocketbook! But next year, oh next year, there will be Rhinebeck mayhem... Actually I've been tossing around the idea of doing another yarn diet until next year's round of festivals in an attempt to have naked sticks and a reduced stash by then, but we'll see if I can commit to something like that.

So what have I been doing all weekend instead of cavorting with bloggers and buying yarn?



Oh yeah, I know how to party. That screen is actually full of writing, but maybe since it's so darn boring, my camera decided to white it out and save y'all the pain of being exposed to dissertation land? Anyway, I worked, worked, and worked a little bit more, but like the yarn diet, a little bit of discipline paid off and I'm feeling a tad less guilty and morose about life a la grad student. But don't worry, I'm sure the required angst levels will return tomorrow morning.

By the way, this post about writing from one of our fearless leaders is one of the best blog entries I've ever read. She is absolutely, one hundred percent dead on. No amount of sitting in your ugly sweat pants and drinking coffee can make up for the fact that writing sucks. It just plain ol sucks. But anyway, I digress... (which is something I do frequently, thus another reason writing sucks...)

I have been plugging away on my two current projects, but progress is slow and rather unremarkable.
The Socktoberfest socks are growing and I've decided to give the short-row heel another go of it since I've recently been diagnosed as a combination knitter and will hopefully be able to use this knowledge to fix my gauge wonkiness. Combination knitter, makes me feel all heretical now. Or maybe it's more the substantiation of hybridity as expressed in the liminal spaces of my sock heels Yeah, me and H0mi Bhabha, we're tight. (Egads I need to get out more... or go back to reading Stephen King exclusively...)
The Central Park Hoodie is also growing and is being bumped up in status to my main project so I can hopefully finish it before my Nov. knitting guild meeting. At the Oct. meeting I learned that the designer is a local and was excited to be reading the group blog. I'd really like to be able to show off my completed project and take my picture with her and my version of her design. So far this has been a really great project, very easy but the cabling looks impressive and I enjoy working with the yarn (Cascade Quattro). I'm a little worried about fit since nothing seems to look right at the moment. (Could it have something to do with sitting at the $#@% computer all day in my ugly sweat pants, perhaps? Must.finish.diss so I can get my growing behind back on the treadmill!)
I've been dying to get some new projects on both my computer screen and my knitting needles, but I know the siren call of Clapotis and Charles Dickens would just get me into trouble right now. Anybody have any of Odysseus' ear plug techniques so I can actually finish something?!?! Although, maybe if I tied myself to my computer chair, I wouldn't be able to get up and wander into the kitchen and then maybe the behind would start shrinking again? Hmm, maybe I could start knitting some i-cord for that?
Yes, the attention span of a gnat...

1 comment:

Lone Knitter said...

I'm not sure what a combination knitter is. I wonder what I can attribute my knitting faults to. Hmm...maybe it's time to procrastinate more by researching this.