28 October 2006

Piles and Potty Problems

My family has annointed me with the title of Holiday Holocaust for my unique ability to call home during a family feast and totally ruin it with some sort of emotional upheaval. I personally think it's a special talent, but they aren't exactly proud. Well, I believe it's time for a new moniker. How's about Plumbing Piraya? Or maybe Freak Flooding Frida? Personally, I like Pioneer Princess Wannabe... as in, I just luuuuurv having to boil water on the stove for heat and an old fashioned sponge bath. And if I get to do it by candlelight... mmm, baby, now we're talking.

Thursday evening while I was working away on this pile o' books, little did I know that my basement was filling with water. (Guess that means I was really concentrating or something...) Luckily my landlord happened to come home just in time and we were able to locate the leak, or explosion as it was. Having flashbacks of the episode of a toilet tank shooting water into the air a few weeks ago, I got to witness my hot water tank performing the same little geyser effect. Mmm, fun times. So off goes the hot water and off it will stay until Monday. And of course I'm having a friend come in from out of town tonight. Welcome to Buffalo, hope you brought your camping supplies because we really don't have these modern conveniences like water and electricity on a regular basis.


The Central Park Hoodie progresses... onto the sleeves...

Oh well, at least writing and knitting don't work up too much of a sweat so the sponge bath with water boiled on the stove is sufficient, at least until I can again hit up friends with facilities a few blocks away. Don't you want to come visit too? Maybe we could set up a bonfire in the backyard or grind our own corn just like the pioneers. Gotta love city livin'!

2 comments:

Kris said...

You must have very understanding guests... Hopefully they don't mind roughing it!

Lone Knitter said...

Good lord! Just when it seemed as if it couldn't get any worse! Well, Brooklyn is a short jet-blue ride away if you need some place to shower and work on the dissertation.