01 May 2006

Everything But the Hot Carpenter

Yesterday was a regular HGTV plethora o’ craftiness around these parts. I had the perky hostess and all, but yours truly wasn’t out there chatting with the hot carpenter that makes his way to all of those shows. This being the first weekend since the beginning of December wherein my head (and time) have not been decidedly stuck in the 18th century, I decided to reward myself with a night out with the girls (pics to come soon), a day of spring cleaning, and an entire day of Martha time. Saturday with the Windex was wonderful and refreshing, but Sunday really rocked my tomato, as dear Susannah would say. (Don’t worry PG-readers. She assures me there is nothing naughty intended… but if your mind is so inclined, don’t blame me!)

I started my morning with a little home redecorating work. Finally hung my Christmas gifts. You can’t really see in this picture, but my cousin Andy is the one with real photographic talent. Obviously since you can’t see his work in my picture of the pictures, I don’t have a bit of it! I was going for the play between the really old photos, some of family members, most random antique store finds, and the very contemporary look of Andy’s work. But alas, no carpenter around to build me that nifty shelf… another rummage sale find from years of old.

I put my hammer away and pulled out the sewing machine to *gasp* finish a project that I started last fall. Well, honestly, I bought the raw products for this project years ago so it feels pretty good to get this one checked off the list. I used to live in an apartment with a geeeeooooorgeous yellow kitchen. It has potential, but wow, it was yellow. This table and chair set matched the kitchen counter tops. Sunshine yellow is really too pale to describe the original paint scheme. So I busted out the spray paint and turned them black last fall. And then I bought new foam cushions to recover…

and left them in their plastic wrap for about six months. Classy, I know. Anyway, after a few yards of cheap toile home dec fabric and some elbow grease, I actually have real person chairs. However, I’m still looking for the hot carpenter to make new seats for the cushions to rest on so I didn’t go all out with the upholstery job knowing these won’t last more than a few years.

Moving into the living room I decided that I really needed to do something about my coffee table made from an old mirror and a Rubbermaid tub (which incidentally is full of yarn…). I even busted out the glue gun for this job. I know, I could lose my crafty license for that one, but at least I wasn’t gluing baby’s breath onto anything so I think I’m safe. Of course, if I had a hot carpenter, I wouldn’t need to fashion coffee tables from Rubbermaid tubs…

And what do you need when you’re sitting on the sofa admiring your new girly table? Why, a new throw, that’s what. These rag throws are really only a step above nursing home craft, but it’s flllllaaaaanel and soft and has spring umbrellas on it. I was feeling a bit like a messy crafter after that glue gun usage so I knew I had to tackle something where consistent seams were not required. Once I wash it, the seams should fray and be a little less rigid. It’s kinda missing that snuggly factor but it’ll get there after a little TLC… Wouldn’t this just be perfect for snuggling with that missing hot carpenter?

I rounded out my day o’ crafty love with a little knitting, but there’s nothing really to show when you do super long rows of stockinette. Lara’s growing, but sllllloooowly. At this rate, I’ll have a hot carpenter before I have a sweater… snort…

All in all, a pretty good weekend… and look, only one minor crafting injury. I got a little zealous trimming threads to Rachel’s mix CD. Darn little points on scissors… what do they put those there for? I’ll spare you the comment on how I need the hot carpenter to kiss my boo boo…

Sunday, 30 April: nadda

Monday, 1 May: $48.79 Wegmans run. I really had no idea I spend this much on food, groceries and otherwise… yikes.

2 comments:

Kris said...

I'm impressed that you even have a glue gun! Everything came out so nice. Care to come to WI, the home of great cheese and beer, to help me out?

Anonymous said...

Ah, Leslie, you put my crafty concepts to shame! I am embarrassed at how long my decoupage-destined bookshelf has been in the basement. And let's not even bring up Shelby's Christmas hat from last year (still only half done).

Three cheers for the Puritan work ethic!