15 May 2007

Brain.Full.Now... Too. Full...

Well, nine knitting hours later, I can finally say that I’m a little tired of talking, thinking and doing stuff with sticks and string!

The Guild workshops were great and I thoroughly enjoyed picking up all the tips and tricks she had to offer. In the first session, we covered top down raglans and started our own mini cardigans. Getting a neat little comparison of the different methods of increases was worth the price of admission. Who knew that you should match your increase method to the fiber content of your yarn? The second workshop covered finishing techniques, skills that I could always improve. Edge stitches? Yep, I read about those somewhere… and promptly forgot to use them.

By the time I got to our monthly knitting group last night, I was pretty much spent so I gossiped instead of stitching and was, for once, perfectly content to let the needles stay in my bag.

I think my brain was soooo full of knitting, actually, that it’s thrown off my sense of balance.

Today in my torture session with the trainer she brought out the infamous medicine balls for a little fun, or um, embarrassment. The instructions were for me to sit on one of the exercise balls, catch the medicine ball she tossed at me, then extend for a back bend, touching the floor with the weight above my head and then coming up in a crunch before tossing the ball back to her. Okay, preschool exercises here… catch, toss, back bend… no biggee…

Or so I thought until I do a back bend, get dizzy and honestly fall off the stupid exercise ball, flat on my face in the middle of the gym. Excuse me, please ignore the idiot who clearly hasn’t earned her sneakers.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can just see myself falling off the exercise ball and dying from the shame. Possibly your mind was just overloaded with all the knitting.

Redheadskydiver said...

Those exercise balls are dangerous! Stick to knitting.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I totally understand! I was in sessions with a personal trainer a little while ago and he had us doing something similar except when we caught the medicine ball, we had to twist to the side with our arms extended straight out in front of us and then twist back to throw it back to him. Medicine balls and Stability balls should be outlawed!! Keep at it though!
And I'm uber jealous of all your workshops! They sound like they were really great!

Lone Knitter said...

I've always wondered about those exercise balls. I don't think I should get one now--I think I too would fall on my face. Hope you're okay!