05 May 2006

Secret Pal 8 Questionnaire

Hope this gives you some idea of who I am and what I knit, Secret Pal. These things are always tricky and I know it's easier to shop with more information so ask away if you have questions. I feel a little odd writing about things I want!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

My stuck on an island yarn would be Karabella Aurora 8. I tend to go for merino, but I’m pretty much open to anything. Right now, I’ve been lusting after all the pretty sock yarn out there. I’d also like to try some of various yarns out there by Rowan and Debbie Bliss. Basically, I’m a blossoming yarn snob! I love to try new things though, so I’m not picky. Little bits are always fun to sample. Oh, and I love "regional" yarns, like things that are unique to your area or produced locally.

Things I don’t like – scratchy acrylics, most cottons tend to hurt my hands after awhile although I’m still trying to find one that I like.


2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I have a wine decanter that I use for my straights; circs have a hanging case like the one in Stitch n’ Bitch.


3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I started knitting Jan 01. I’d say I was an intermediate knitter.


4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

I’m working on updating one. I think my current one is pretty much full of dissertation books, ugh.


5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

vanilla or anything light, just nothing banana; This time of year I usually things that smell "clean," usually with names like Garden Fresh or Spring Breeze or something like that.


6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Unfortunately, yes. I’d say peanut butter cups were my usual fave, but I love good chocolates, the kind where a single piece is so rich you can have it with your coffee and be pretty content. But really, aren't good ol' M&M's pretty darn tasty?


7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I don’t spin and don’t really think I’ll get into that. I love to quilt and really like funky and vintage fabrics in the Amy Butler or Denyse Schmidt styles, some beading and scrapbooking but not as much as the knitting and quilting. I’ve done some crochet as well but don’t enjoy it as much as knitting.


8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I love mp3s and am always searching for new music, especially up-beat workout music. I go for anything in the music department – hip hop, techno, country, rockabilly, indie, jazz, classical, blues, whatever…


9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

Blues are usually my favorites, with any cool, water-type color blends (greens, lavenders, purples). I pretty much like all colors and use them in my knitting and quilting. I love pairing unexpected colors, especially on small accessories. The bright sock yarns are great, although I don’t usually go for primary (rainbow) colors.


10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I am single and don’t have any pets. I do love to “borrow” my mom’s horse when I’m visiting our family farm in Missouri though.


11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Yes to all winter gear (live in Buffalo, after all), but maybe not so much on the poncho scene.


12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Anything and everything! I like to have several projects on the needles - a bigger sweater project, something mindless and portable for group knitting, and something I have to think on, like fair isle or lace.


13. What are you knitting right now?

I won’t list the 863 projects I’ve started and put down! At the top of the list are Lara from Debbie Bliss (really popular on the blogs a few years ago), socks, a felted Sophie purse for a friend, and a lace stole that was a Christmas gift from last year.


14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Absolutely!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

circs, Addis, Crystal Palace, would like to try Inox needles for lace

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? yes, both

17. How did you learn to knit?

I made several friends sign up for a class at my university, thinking we’d be able to knit and gossip. For the first few months the only things we ever said to each other were strings of expletives when we dropped a stitch!


18. How old is your oldest UFO?

I’m pretty sure there is a Red Heart acrylic scarf or two from that very first class. Ugh, won’t be finishing that!


19. What is your favorite holiday?

Thanksgiving or Christmas. Love the food and the Black Friday shopping in November, but also love decorating with all my vintage ornaments and shopping or making gifts in December.


20. Is there anything that you collect?

Where to start on the collections? I used to be a regular antique hunter so I’ve got too many of these. Right now, I’m into anything related to British colonial history since it’s my dissertation topic. More than that, I love adding to the yarn and fabric stashes most of all.


21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Books – Will have to think about this one… I’ll work on my Amazon list soon.
Mags – Interweave and Vogue


22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Restraint in a yarn store and dedication to finish projects, both techniques I’m sure this won’t be promoting! (Which is a good thing, of course.) Seriously, I’d like to work on my fair isle and lace knitting, both things I’ve dabbled with but nowhere near conquered.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I completed my first pair during the Knitting Olympics. I wear a ladies size 9, on the average to wider side.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 06/27 – It’s the big 3-0 this year and I’m dreading it already!

No comments: