07 December 2005

Following a trend

I've seen this meme on several blogs lately and thought I'd join in the fun.

TEN random things you might not know about me.
1: I have a major aversion to bananas. If you plan to be around me, don’t eat ‘em.
2: I like to iron when I have insomnia. Cloth napkins are ideal for 4 a.m. pressing.
3: I have oddly shaped thumbs that often get noticed by others with the same quirk.
4: If I could switch careers, I’d be an interior designer.
5: I’m a neurotic list-maker. I just usually can’t find the lists I make.
6: When asked what my favorite color is, I always say navy blue. I’m actually not sure if I have a favorite.
7: I love to eat out, but always feel guilty that I’m not cooking at home.
8: I regret not taking my piano lessons more seriously.
9: I enjoy moving. Maybe this is the reason why I’m on my fourth apartment in 5 ½ years.
10: I have tastes very similar to my aunt’s. My cousin tends to go for the same colors/fabrics as my mom. I’m sure there’s a need for a few sessions of family counseling in this little factoid.

NINE places I've visited
1: London – study abroad in college
2: Chihuahua, Mexico – volunteer work during college
3: the backwoods of southern Missouri – horsey camp in BFE… scarrrrry locals
4: Toronto – shopping, shopping, shopping, and of course, food
5: Europe – the college backpacking experience (see #1)
6: NYC – returning again to see the Christmas lights in just a few days!!!
7: Winston-Salem, NC – Studied at the Reynolda Art Museum for a summer
8: Houston – volunteer work in high school
9: Burlington, VT – loved it. If it was closer to family, I’d want to teach there.

EIGHT ways to win my heart
1: support my crafty habit – listen and actually pretend to be excited when I talk about a project
2: ask me questions about my research – and get excited when I talk about it
3: surprise me with a trip or a tiny little present – it’s the thought that counts
4: do something to take care of me – even if I get too independent and claim that I don’t need taking care of
5: tell me about your own passions and interests
6: be generous and kind to others
7: scratch my back and let me fall asleep with the movie on
8: make me laugh

SEVEN things I want to do before I die
1: publish a book
2: run a marathon
3: travel to every continent – I’m sure all my knitting will keep me warm in Antarctica!
4: get hitched – Yes, Mom, I do eventually want to do this.
5: have a rewarding career
6: go on vacation at the beach and feel comfortable in my bathing suit
7: learn to cook a turkey or chicken without wanting to throw up while preparing it

SIX things I'm afraid of
1: not getting a job when I finally finish grad school
2: having a job where I’d have to talk on the phone a lot – for some reason I absolutely dread making business phone calls. It makes my stomach churn.
3: divorce
4: silverfish or house centipedes or whatever those creatures were in a former apartment
5: falling down my icy, concrete front steps
6: dying alone

FIVE things I don't like
1: seafood – it stinks!
2: networking
3: beer
4: rude people
5: getting lost with an impatient person

FOUR ways to turn me off
1: be racist, sexist, xenophobic or generally closed-minded and prejudicial
2: celebrate your ignorance – be proud that you’re lazy and no nothing
3: be rude to salespeople, wait staff, or anyone you consider beneath you
4: refuse to listen to others

THREE Things I do everyday
1: drink coffee or tea – You don’t want to see me without it.
2: futz on the computer – I could probably be classified an Internet addict.
3: think about being crafty – unfortunately there’s more thinking about it than doing it

TWO things that make me happy
1: a night at home with a warm drink (especially if it’s also a stiff drink) and my knitting and no guilt about work that I should be doing
2: a clean apartment

ONE thing on my mind right now
1: What on earth should I teach in my 18th century novel class next term?

Hopefully Blogger will work later and I can do a knitting post. I've got projects waiting to debut!

No comments: